Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What's the definition of "triathlon" anyway?

I can't believe the swarm of support and motivation I have received in the last 24 hours. I sure do know some pretty amazing people. So, now that I've had a full day to soak in the admiration; I guess it's time for me to come clean...I am not really going to do a full blown triathlon. That was my original plan, but then I looked it up. Do you know exactly what is involved in a triathlon??? Well, let me tell you. First you have to swim 750m, then bike for 30km, and then if your legs are still listening to your brain signals, you must run for 7.5km. And that my frineds, is not even the Olympic distance!

No, I will be participating in the "Give-It-A-Tri" series (get it? Tri! Witty, huh?). These races are designed for first time racers (me!) and are slightly more reasonable. First you swim 400m, then bike 10km and then run 2.5km. Baby steps!

Thanks to the trusty interweb, I have located a 10 week training guide that I will be following. Here is what I have in store for week#1:

Day #1: Bike 30 mins
Day #2: Run 20 mins
Day #3: Day off :)
Day #4: Bike 40 mins
Day #5: Run 15 mins
Day #6: Day off :) :)

Okay...this is a bit modified to accomodate the fact that I started on a Tuesday. I eliminated the swimming, because I figure that I can make that part up. (Slacking already...I know, I know)

30 mins on the bike and I kept it above 85 RPM the entire time and travelled 7.58 something or other. The bike I was on didn't actually stipulate whether it is kilometres or miles or what. I'm going with miles because I was peddling really fast and sweating a lot! I guess I'd better figure that out for next time.

Tomorrow...I RUN!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Bek's Keep it up!!! I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahhaah ok.. my question is answered :) when/where is this one? :) i still think you could do the normal triathlon though! :)

    ReplyDelete