Saturday, March 27, 2010

Run or Play Dead?

I took the day off work yesterday and we drove out to Rattlesnake Point, a section on the Bruce Trail in Milton. We are planning on doing some hiking/camping this summer and we wanted to "test the waters" with our little Basset Hound "Filbert"and ensure that he is up for the task. So, we fished our day packs out of storage, bundled up and headed out early yesterday morning. It was a little chilly, but we dressed appropriately and it couldn't have been a more perfect day.

We picked a 14 km trail and headed off into the wilderness. At some point along the way Ara stops and says to me "Hey, do you think there are bears out here on the Escarpment?" I responded with a "I dunno, why?" with which was responded "cuz, I'm pretty sure these aren't dog tracks in the mud..." And boy, was he right. The trail was pretty soft and muddy in places as was the particular stretch that we were on and clear as day (or mud - ha ha) were undeniable, fresh bear tracks. And they were huge. We tracked them a fair distance and made comments about how convenient the bear must have found the man made trail that he was walking on and trying to remember if you run or play dead with black bears (something I must really get straight one of these days) and then started to question what exactly bears eat when they first wake up from hibernation, considering there was no vegetation to be found. Hmm...groggy, disoriented, hungry bears...thats when we started singing and making a disrespectful amount of noise.

Half way into the hike we came upon an Iroquoian Village (and a rest station with flush toilets!) and we stopped to eat the packed lunch we brought. Then back on the trail.

So, it's funny how when you are walking downhill at a rather slight incline how you don't really notice...but when you are climbing uphill at a friggin' steep incline, it really takes a toll. All I kept thinking to myself was how much worse this would be with a 50 lb pack on my back and a canoe over my head. That made everything seem much better and I arrived at the top of the valley without too much crying, complaining and bartering for rest stops!

The dog had the time of his life and didn't hold us back at all, in fact he was leading most of the way. It was evident that he was pretty exhausted when he didn't even want to get out of the car when we got home. He lifted his head and looked at us as if to say "you guys go ahead, I'm just going to sleep here." Needless to say he slept all night, but he is now back to his regular self this morning. He is sitting by the door as I type, motioning that it is time to go for a walk. I must oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment